-->
tour·ist: a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” - Jawaharlal Nehru

Saturday, April 14, 2007

A week in Varadero - my first all-inclusive experience


New Year's resolutions can be a powerful force for change when applied correctly.

In January, I decided that 2007 was the year that I was going to start travelling. I had (mostly) recovered from my life-changing experience of being laid off and not knowing what to do with my life; I had been gainfully employed for over a year, and I was tired of not seeing the world beyond the Eastern seaboard of North America.

And so, a plan was formed. Angharad, Julia, Lynn and I would go to Cuba for a week to an all-inclusive resort in Veradero. We stayed in a 3.5 star resort, I avoided the beach (don't like sand), Angharad and I did a one-day tour of Havana, and we explored the little market in Veradero.

Things I learned:
  1. Don't go to Cuba for the food
  2. Do go see Havana
  3. This drink is delicious: 1/3 white rum, 1/3 pina colada mix, 1/3 orange juice, shot of grenadine
View from our balcony looking over the pool


Bougainvillea - one of my favorite flowers
Friends enjoying the house specialty

I love palm trees!
Footprints in the sand


Riding in a taxi to the Varadero market
Beach. One of the best in the world, by all accounts. Too bad I'm not a fan of sand... It's very pretty, though!
One of the classic cars we saw - loved them!
Hibiscus - another favorite flower

No comments :