-->
tour·ist: a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” - Jawaharlal Nehru

Saturday, September 1, 2012

First day in Paris

Part of the series: Paris and Tuscany



We made it!
After two years of planning and fretting over logistical details, we showed up at the Toronto airport on Friday night, boarded the plane, and 6 hours later, landed in Paris.

On a side note, I don't think I have ever travelled anywhere that I didn't have to wait in ANY lineups! It was wonderful. I got to the airport at 5:00, was the only person in line to check my bag, the only person in line to go through security, and, being seated at the back of the plane, one of the first to board, in a relatively short lineup.

Arriving in Paris, we went through customs (I got a stamp in my new passport, much to Barb's dismay) and our luggage was shortly picked up. We decided to take the train into Paris, and that worked great until I missed the exit due to being run over by a gentleman in a wheelchair.

After rejoining Lynn and Barb, we made our way to the exit, where thanks to a very nice lady, I was able to exit from the train station. For other travelers, note that when traveling between the RER and the Metro in Paris, exits are controlled by your ticket. DO NOT MISPLACE IT! And yes, as always, I am happy to share advice that will spare others from my mishaps.

We then proceeded to the Franklin D. Roosevelt subway station, and having arrived at the street our apartment is on, we were checking to see which way to go for our address when a man walked up to us and said "Anna? Is one of you Anna?" after that, it was very easy to find our apartment, just a matter of following him down the street into the building.

We are on the top floor of the building, in a very nice one bedroom apartment.

First on our agenda was a nap, which we did as soon as we finished the business of checking in and having all the appliances explained to us. (please note, we have washed one load of laundry three times, and are hoping that this time through is a dry cycle... Although we just heard water running again... Should have paid better attention, apparently)


Three hours later, feeling very much refreshed, we headed out exploring. We wandered up the Champs-Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe, where we took our time appreciating the workmanship and the general atmosphere of being in Paris.

Wandering back down the street, we came across Ladurée, so we stopped to buy some patisseries for dessert.

Unfortunately, as we were re-orienting ourselves on the street, Lynn stepped under a bird, and so she very quickly wanted to get back to the apartment and refresh again.

Barb and I went back out to the grocery store and picked up supper, which we then ate, with Ladurée meringues for dessert.

I'm not sure when the others went to bed, but I crawled under the covers and when I lifted my head, it was Sunday morning at 6:54 am.

One wonderful day in Paris over, 3 to go.

No comments :